Monday, January 13, 2014

Making do and Mending

This morning I was finally able to replace the covered button on my dress! Unfortunately, I couldn't get it done professionally as the woman who usually makes them wasn't in, but I was able to get a DIY covered button kit. The dress is fixed and wearable! My first project of the year is complete, and I'm so, so excited to start planning the next one. 



The top button is a new addition!

I love how the back looks a bit Medieval


The Challenge: Make Do & Mend

Fabric: Velvet

Pattern: Vintage garment 

Year: c. 1937

Notions: Thread, covered button 

How historically accurate is it? Passable.

Hours to complete: 1

First worn: Tonight, for photos! 

Total cost: about $3


I love the long line and the cut of this dress, so when I saw it my first instinct was that it dated from the 1930s. When I tried it on, I was super surprised to see shoulder pads inside! I had always associated shoulder pads with 1940's fashion. So I did a little research and found that Elsa Schiaparelli was one of the first designers to make shoulder pads popular... in 1931! A little more digging showed that styles similar to this dress, with the front panel, gathers under the bust, and ruched sleeves were popular in 1937. 




September 1937 via Vintage Stitches
                
McCalls July 1937 via Vixen Vintage




1 comment: